FirstNet Weekly Update- January 17, 2017
- Last week, representatives from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) visited the FirstNet Chief Technology Office (CTO) in Boulder, CO to tour the FirstNet Innovation & Test Lab and the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Public Safety Communications Research Division (PSCR) Lab. ISED also met with the FirstNet Applications, Devices, and Network Operations teams, and provided background on Canadian public safety broadband network efforts. CTO staff engaged in a robust discussion to better understand the Canadian effort, and presented on the progress of the FirstNet network and the Early Builders Projects.
- FirstNet also attended the Arizona Public Safety Radio System Administrators Forum in Phoenix last Tuesday. Attendees expressed interest in working with FirstNet to promote seamless public safety communications capabilities throughout the state.
- This week, FirstNet will be participating in Fire Rescue East in Daytona Beach, Florida; a White House Council on Native American Affairs Public Safety Sub-group meeting in Washington, DC; a Massachusetts Major City Chiefs of Police Association meeting in Everett; a meeting of Oklahoma’s FirstNet governance board in Oklahoma City; a Southern California Tribal Chairmen’s Association Board meeting in Escondido; the U.S. Conference of Mayors’ 85th Winter Meeting in Washington, DC; a National Congress of American Indians presidential transition briefing in Arlington, Virginia; a meeting of the Utah Fire Chiefs Association in St. George; a California League of Cities meeting in Sacramento; a meeting of Nebraska’s FirstNet governance board in Lincoln; and tribal engagement meetings in Massachusetts with the Mashpee Wampanoag and Aquinnah Wampanoag tribes.
- Each January, February, and March, professional and trade associations congregate in Washington, DC, to meet with the Administration and Congress. They typically hold conferences and conduct individual meetings during their time in DC. Over the next two months, FirstNet representatives will be attending and presenting at the U.S. Conference of Mayors, the National Sheriff’s Association, the National Governor’s Association, the Major Cities Chiefs Association, and the National Association of Counties, which will include state executives from many states and territories. FirstNet will continue to share any information with you that will be beneficial to our work together this year.
- Last week, FirstNet posted two new blog posts: FirstNet Works to Foster Innovation in Public Safety Apps and PSAC Profile: National Volunteer Fire Council (NVFC). All blog posts are available on the FirstNet blog at: www.firstnet.gov/newsroom/blog.
News from the PSAC, States and Territories
- PSCR will hold a second scheduled webinar to provide general information and discuss important considerations for the Public Safety Innovation Accelerator Program (PSIAP) Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO):
- Thursday, January 19 at 9:00 AM (https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/49460810829667073).
*The information provided is copied as-is from the media outlet source and is not edited by FirstNet. Links to non-Federal Government websites do not constitute endorsement of any product, service, organization, company, information provider, or content. Clicking on non-Department of Commerce hyperlinks will direct you to websites that are not under the Government’s control.
Urgent Communications 1/15: FirstNet officials outline vision for organization’s testing operations in Colorado lab
FirstNet’s new laboratory will conduct testing to ensure that core public-safety devices, network features, capabilities and services will meet the reliability and performance requirements of first responders, although details will not be revealed until the nationwide contractor award is made, according to FirstNet officials.